1. Read verse 1a. What had Jesus been talking about just before he prayed? (16:33) Read verses 1b-5. What was Jesus' life purpose? What was his hope?
2. For what purpose did God grant him authority? (2) What is eternal life? What does it mean to "know" God and to "know Jesus"? What was the work God gave Jesus to do? (Jn 1:29; 17:6,8) How was this work completed? What does it mean that he is going to God? How is this related to eternal life?
3. Read verses 6-10. What two things did Jesus do to raise disciples? What was the point of his disciple training? Why was it important that they know that Jesus came from God? What can we learn about the importance of prayer and Bible study in raising disciples?
4. Read verses 11-19. What is repeated? (11,13) Where was Jesus going? Why did he pray that his disciples be protected from the evil one? Why and how does the evil one seek to break the love relationship of believers? What can we learn here about our real enemy? What was Jesus' main prayer topic? (11,21-23)
5. What was the disciples' relationship to the world? Why did he want them to remain in the world? Why did he send them out? What does it mean to be sanctified? What does it mean that he would sanctify himself?
6. Read verses 20-26. What are Jesus' prayer topics for believers? How did Jesus make the Father known to his disciples? What is the great hope of all of Jesus' disciples? (24) What is God's great hope for all creation? (Eph 1:10)